Saturday, July 07, 2007

GROUNDS OF RIDICULOUSNESS

I try to look at the subway as a positive thing. It's tough sometimes. Trying to think of public transportation as better for the environment only goes so far when your sitting at a hot sticky underground station waiting 20 minutes for your train in the summer. It's harder during the winter when your waiting at an outside station, the bitter cold wind whipping through your entire body an numbing your face. At times like this, I could give a shit less about the environment.

So, I try and think of how else the subway is beneficial to me. It certainly isn't the time I save going to work. What is beneificial is the money I save by not owning a car. With gas prices as high as they are, and rookie police officers hiding in the bushes off expressways anxious to give you a speeding ticket, the subway does save me quite a bit of money. Plus, you can't get tickets on the subway, right?


How wrong I was. Within the past 2 weeks I've managed to get not one, but two tickets on the subway. The first, I must say was my own fault. It was late at night, I was going out and I had a beer at the empty station in Brooklyn. Out of nowhere, two young undercovers appeared and were more than happy to give me an open container ticket. At the time I was with two travelers from London, who thought the idea of getting a ticket for a beer was ludicrous. I had to agree. Open containers really aren't a big deal in England. The police have better things to worry about like oh, say, terrorism.

The second ticket I received was when I was rudely awakened at 3am by a police officer. He shook me and asked me to get off the train. I didn't know what I had done and thought perhaps something was seriously wrong with the train.

This was not the case. The two officers informed me that they were writing me a ticket for occupying more than one space on the subway. I thought it was a joke. There were several other people getting this ticket as well. The way I was sitting I was facing the other seats so that I could have my knees bent, but this forces my toes to be taking up more than one seat. Mind you, it's not like the subway was jammed with passengers, it was 3 am and there was more than enough seats available for an army. I didn't think my toes would be an issue. After talking back to the police officers and ridiculing them by asking if they had nothing better to do in NYC (which I probably shouldn't have done) I went on my way, ticket in hand.

I plan on taking it to court and arguing that if a larger person's fat spilled over into the next seat could they get a ticket? It's only a 50$ charge from what I hear, but it's the principle of the matter.

I'll appeal on the grounds of ridiculousness, because this word is about as absurd as the ticket.

2 Comments:

Blogger joshua said...

It's so nice for me to have found this blog of yours, it's so interesting. I sure hope and wish that you take courage enough to pay me a visit in my PALAVROSSAVRVS REX!, and plus get some surprise. My blog is also so cool! Don't think for a minute that my invitation is spam and I'm a spammer. I'm only searching for a public that may like or love what I write.

Feel free off course to comment as you wish and remember: don't take it wrong, don't think that this visitation I make is a matter of more audiences for my own blogg. No. It's a matter of making universal, realy universal, all this question of bloggs, all the essential causes that bring us all together by visiting and loving one another.

I think it's to UNITE MANKIND that we became bloggers! Don't see language as an obstacle but as a challenge (though you can use the translater BabelFish at the bottom of my page!) and think for a minute if I and the rest of the world are not expecting something like a broad cumplicity. Remenber that pictures talk also. Open your heart and come along!!!!!

11:22 AM  
Blogger INNER VOICES said...

WTF? I HATE SPAMMERS!!!
and cops who give ridiculous tickets even more!!! good luck with the court. i'm not sure how those tickets work, but here when you want to contest something the cop who issued the ticket has to show up too! could work out in your favor...

9:04 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home

Mirage
Mirage