Wednesday, May 30, 2007

DEPARTMENT OF EVIL

Three weeks ago I started my first temp to perm job.

I was all bright eyed and bushy tailed, and couldn't wait to prove to them what I could do so I could advance my way to having vacations and weekends off, and real health insurance. No more battling the bird flu with over the counter Tylenol cold medicine for me. I was in the big leagues now.

Two weeks later, I quit my first temp to perm job, strolled outside into the beautiful 75 degree weather and sprawled out in Central Park. I had never felt better.

I had learned my first corporate office lesson. Temp jobs are evil. Turnover rate is higher than any restaurant job I'd ever worked, including fast food chains. My job included updating data bases in an office where no one spoke to each other or even introduced themselves. Nine hours of awkward silence was too much for me.

Remnants of previous temps were shattered around my computer and desk area. It was like finding remains in a archeological site, proving that an entire civilization of other struggling college grads existed before my arrival. Most of the evidence was cover letters and resumes that had been saved on my computer, and I realized that they spent their time at the workplace applying on the internet for other jobs. Not a good sign.

On, my second day, I received a shocking greeting when I came in the door. "Oh, you came back for another day." Also not a good sign. I soon found out that coffee pots were outlawed because they used up too much energy. I too, thought this was a joke.

After a week, I was finally introduced to someone, when I had somehow gotten on the company's online subscription list. My cell phone rang, and I allowed them to try and sign me up for a few moments before saying.

"There's no need to sign me up for a subscription. I work here. I'm Amber, by the way, and if you look directly over your cubicle, you will see me, live and in person."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home

Mirage
Mirage