Monday, May 21, 2007

RESPECT

It was carefully planned, beautifully executed. The only comforting thought for me after I fell for their scam was that they were professionals.

There were four of them, mid-twenties. My first guess was that they had classes together and had just gotten out. There was only a couple other tables in the restaurant, so I didn't mind so much that they were asking specifics about every item on the menu. I gave recommendations. It took them almost 20 minutes to reach a decision. And after, they commented, "Wow, that took us way too long to decide. Let's go have a cigarette." And all four left to smoke.

When they asked about our wines and cocktails, I let them try samples first. I went all out with this table. Perfect service, they were loving everything. After they finished their entrees, I cleared the table and dropped the dessert menus off. They ordered three espressos, and a couple of desserts. And, since this was quite a while since their first smoke, they decided to go for a second. I heard one of them mention it in passing, and I went to the bar to make their espressos and ring in their dessert order. I set the espressos on the table, and noticed their bags were gone as well. Strange, I thought. It seemed odd that there wasn't a single item left behind. No umbrella, or jacket, sunglasses, nothing. Of course, as time passed, there was no sign of them.

Their check was almost 200$. I was livid. Not only had they dine and ditched, they were sweet as pie about doing it. "How is everything?" I asked when their food arrived. "Oh, it's wonderful, great recommendations, thanks so much." Luckily for me, my manager understood. Such is not always they case, and many times a waitress has to pay the bill. As mad as I was, I had to admire their little act. It was really genius. The timing was perfect. They waited for me to go make the espressos, and by ordering dessert they sealed the deal. They knew I would think nothing of them going out for a second cigarette. They must hit up every restaurant in Manhattan. I've got to hand it to them, respect.

2 Comments:

Blogger Thy said...

nice writing!

smart kids, too..

11:35 PM  
Blogger INNER VOICES said...

ouch, cool management this time... smooth trick with smoke break... i bet you wont get fooled with that one again! great post!!

10:59 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home

Mirage
Mirage