Wednesday, June 27, 2007

RENTAL FEE

Yesterday, as I looked around the restaurant I realize that our kindness to our regulars is being taken advantage of. Occasionally, we have people who dine alone who ask if they can plug their laptops in to an outlet. Since we are connected to a retail store, there are outlets on the floors in order to plug in antique lamps which we have for sale. I don't mind letting them use their computers while they are having lunch. Not a big deal.

However, things have gotten out of hand. The restaurant is beginning to look like computer lab. People have gotten the idea that they can order a cup of coffee and sit for hours typing away, asking for refills every half hour or so. The office meetings being held are at an all time high, and I'm just waiting for someone to wheel in a powerpoint projector. I can't get a word in to even find out what they would like to eat. When I try to ask I get the "how dare you interrupt our business meeting" look.

I reached my boiling point when a young couple came in, asked for coffee and then proceeded to seal envelopes and put stamps on their wedding invitations. Wouldn't they much rather do this in their home, and after flying high on the wedding bliss bullshit, they can fuck instead of gazing into each other's eyes across the table. I don't understand people sometimes. The overly excited bride-to-be even had the nerve to ask me if I had calligraphy pen she could borrow. Right, cause we often hand those out when you sign your credit card slip.

I'm going to start adding a rental fee to the bottom of the check. It will be another one listed as miscellaneous bullshit.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home

Mirage
Mirage