Monday, August 06, 2007

SUBWAY SATAN

I've seen my share of interesting characters on the subway. There's the cross-eyed man whose earth-shaking burps take place every 7.25 minutes and register a 4.1 on the Richter scale. In between burps the preachers are trying to get a word in about saving us all from hell by finding Jesus. Everyone has an incredible urge to throw them off the train. And of course, there's all ways your token harmless bum, begging for change or pissing on himself at the end of the carriage.

All of them are quite harmless of course, and I have never been afraid of how they might act. This weekend however, I ran into one creepy guy that I thought was going to hack me to bits with an axe.

He was a balding, overweight white man, who was staring out the window into nothing. I had no idea what he was looking at so intently since underground is only darkness. My friend who was sitting next to me pointed out that the man was actually watching the reflection to see if anyone was looking at him. He was mumbling random incoherent babble. Or so I thought.

He shook his head one way as if trying to get bad thoughts out of his mind, and then looked at me, with eyes as black as can be, each going in different directions and said "White supremacy". Great, I'm sitting across from a crazy Nazi, who was now hissing at us. The man must have heard my friend say "let's get off before this guy tries to kill us." At that moment, he leaped up out of his chair and came towards us, but then changed directions and went for the door.

We got off only to see the crazy eyed man turn around, and with both black eyes focused directly on me, he leaned up against the pole and smiled a grin that looked like a mix between the Joker and the Black Dahlia, ear to ear.

I started running up the stairs. I swear, that man was possessed by Satan himself.

2 Comments:

Blogger Ellis Johnson said...

Scary. I remember once I was on the bus here in Seattle going through downtown, and there was this homeless looking guy sitting across from me on the bus clutching a backpack to his chest muttering "please don't make me do it. I don't want to do it." over and over again. Then he started reciting the states and the capitals which I know is a classic technique used to block out "the bad voices" in your head. I was so sure that he was going to go crazy, but then he got off the bus a couple stops later just before I was about to alert the driver.

Public transportation can always be a bit sketchy.

1:21 AM  
Blogger INNER VOICES said...

no shit. there are a few of those stories for everyone i imagine... public transportation is for all of us, but it sometimes is sketchy. there have been times where i was glad i had a group of friends and wasn't traveling alone.

12:24 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home

Mirage
Mirage